Thursday, September 6, 2012

Banana Peelin' with...Sharon Creech? A Little Blurby-Blurb

So this month marks the end of my FIRST YEAR writing for children.  I have found my passion.  I have always loved children's literature. As a teacher I would try to stuff it down my students' throats. I made whole semester-long units based around a single book. After my own kiddos came into the picture, I finally had a reason to flood our bookshelves with wonderful picture books. Last Fall, inspired by a Literature for a Multicultural World course (Thanks Dr. Bercaw!), I was inspired to create my very own stories. It just made sense. It clicked. Light shined upon my little head and angels sang.  I know I am a newbie, a small, and tender newborn in what literary agent Brenda Bowen calls a, "bunny eat bunny" industry, but please don't judge me, yet.

You see, my goal was to get the authors of my favorite children's books to post this month on the blog. A celebratory event, if you will. Well, I just idolize Sharon Creech. I think her writing is quirky and beautiful, rich and profound all rolled into one. So I contacted her via Facebook. Do you see how I can have a whole blog dedicated to Banana Peel moments? I just set myself up for them. I mean, I was contacting Sharon Creech for Pete's sake! What was I thinking?!

But luckily, she was kind enough to reply with a blurby blurb for which I will be forever grateful! I have adjusted the font size to create the illusion it is longer. =) How's that for more bang for your buck?!


Here's one: Several years ago, while traveling, I stopped in a bookstore. Noticing that Creech titles were well represented, I offered to sign them. The clerk eyed me suspiciously. "Do you have any proof of identification?" she asked. All I had was ID under my (other) married name. I opened one of the books and showed my photo. She studied it. "Doesn't look like you," she said. She did not let me sign my books.

Woo hoo! Yes. Her words graced my inbox folks...my inbox! Now, let's all go out and buy her latest middle grade novel, The Great Unexpected, out this week. Be sure to  check her blog or her website for a list of her work as well as her upcoming releases. Did I mention she writes so beautifully that it'll make ya wanna laugh AND cry and sometimes do both at the SAME TIME?!

AND stay tuned this month for real-life, blog visits (of normal length and font size) from authors of some of my most cherished books!

29 comments:

  1. Now that's a short, funny, blurb! Thanks for sharing, Sharon and Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! Short and sweet! Hey, where have I heard that before? =)

      Delete
  2. That large type is really easy on the eyes too!
    Thanks for the chuckle, Sharon & Elizabeth. At least authors can be sure that author impersonators won't be signing in that bookstore-- what a vigilant clerk! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I didn't want to say so, but I was really thinking of you when I made that large font decision. =) And yes, thank GOODNESS those auhtor impersonators won't stand a chance!

      Delete
  3. Ha!! Love her, love the large print edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) Yeah, that large print has really got me thinking. Why not always? I think Dana would be happy. =)

      Delete
  4. LOL! Love it. I am in the middle of reading WALKING TWO MOONS! Fabulous author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You have to tell me what you think! My husband's sixth grade class is reading it right now and they LOVE it. It is one of their favorites every year. Joanne, also, I think you would like, LOVE THAT DOG. So heart warming. I think I read it in one sitting too!

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's so funny! No one is getting by that clerk. I'm so glad you contact all of these authors so we can enjoy their stories, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a great Banana Peelin' moment. I guess once you're published, you can't change your hairstyle, or haircolor, or get any older :) Thanks for contacting Sharon and posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes. Never aging. Well, personally I feel that I have become MUCH younger since I started to write for children. Well, much more immature anyways. It's fabulous! Thanks for your post Lori! Great to see you here!

      Delete
  7. Funny! Funny! Funny! Loved that blurb!

    I've said it before....I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! I love this series too becuase people like you find it funny. If it makes you laugh, it's worth it!

      Delete
  8. Funny blurby burb! Thanks for recommending the story, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh Pam! Let me know what you think! I also recommend LOVE THAT DOG. Such a good one! Glad you liked the blurby blurb. =)

      Delete
  9. What a great banana peel moment! It made me laugh! And Elizabeth! You got the great Sharon Creech on your blog in real life (and big letters!) That makes you famous by association! :) Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad it tmade you laugh Susanna! I am extremely grateful for her having responded at all to my message. Famous by association? I'll take that! No, but aren't we part of an amazing community with so many supportive peeps! P.S. You're so funny. =)

      Delete
  10. Wait, you mean the day you publish your first book you AREN'T issued an official ID that says "Literary Author" and has your book jacket photo on it - ? I was so looking forward to using mine.... :)

    Thanks for the two degrees of Sharon Creech; and for the terrific story - bananas do come in many shapes and sizes!

    NotAnonymously Yours,
    Melissa Kelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now that would be nice Melissa. Official IDs? Hey, I think you're onto something! =)

      Delete
  11. That was fantastic -- way to go, Elizabeth. You got a blurb from Sharon Creech! That is awesome. (And I wonder if ANYONE gets to sign books in that bookstore? "Hi, I'm Shakespeare." "Ya got some ID?")

    ReplyDelete
  12. THAT'S a banana peel moment. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! As a new author, who's very first book has very first appeared in book stores, I had this moment of panic the other day about walking in to a book store and offering to sign them, and then thinking, oh no! What if they don't believe it's really me? And then I thought, what if there are book terrorists out there who go around randomly pretending to be authors and signing books. And then I thought, don't be silly Jeannie, who would do that?
    I guess it all those thoughts just got justified by this great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book terrorists...now we know what the clerk was up in arms against! We afraid. Be very afraid....

      Thanks Jeannie. This post came right in time for you it seems! =)

      Delete
  14. This is great - love the coincidence of Jeannie's comment too! Und I bet zat klerk vas Djerman!

    ReplyDelete