Thursday, February 16, 2012

Banana Peelin' with Iza Trapani

So, I just can't believe my luck. I have no idea how, but these gracious authors open my emails, read them, write me back, and then send me such lovely banana peely moments.

I love my "job" of being "Bananabeth".  This week's guest author is the talented author/illustrator Iza Trapani! I hope you enjoy her story as much as I have.

***************************************************************
This year marks the 20th anniversary of my first published book!  


How well I remember the day my agent called to tell me she had found a publisher. I jumped and whooped and ran around in circles like a crazed puppy and called everyone I knew, and then I raced into my  studio and stayed there for  the next five months, maniacally writing and rewriting, sketching and re-sketching, painting and repainting, pouring my love and sweat into the book. I wanted it to be perfect.

Dedicating it "to my friends and family," figuring that would cover everyone in case it was the only book I'd ever do, I sent the  finished art to my publisher. And then I waited, and waited some more. A year or so later, a printed hardcover copy arrived in my mailbox and I was overjoyed!

That whole year I had lived in a state of tingly anticipation, wondering how my book would turn out and how people would perceive it. While knowing I should be realistic, I couldn't help but entertain blissful thoughts of  rave reviews and major awards, of movie rights being sold... Hey, you never know.

Reality's icy hand pulled me out of my dreams. I was lucky to get two or three reviews from the major reviewers. None of them bashed my book, but they didn't glorify it either. And I did not win the Caldecott, nor any award for that matter.

Nonetheless, my first book had a nice long run of fourteen years in print with my main publisher, and is still available through the Scholastic Book Club. And, in all those years I've had the joy of reading my book to children at  countless school visits and story times, and getting letters from fans, both young and old telling me how much they enjoyed it. And I've had the joy of meeting my fans at numerous festivals and conferences and inscribing the book to little readers all over the country.

Good reviews and awards are a nice tap on the back. It feels wonderful to get them They are great to use for promotion. But we have to remember that a review is basically one person's opinion. More important is how the book is perceived by our readers at large:  children, parents, early educators.

I was lucky twenty years ago in finding a niche in the market with my nursery rhyme extensions. They have been very popular in schools and I've had wonderful, positive feedback both from my readership and  from most reviewers.




  
I say most, because there was one major review group that used to give me some pretty rotten write ups. It felt like a kick in the gut. Luckily, after a few books they stopped reviewing me altogether because I was so useless and such a waste of their time ( I know, I know, you're smelling sour grapes. I can't help it. It's my babies we're talking about.)

Here's some things they said about my books:"rhymes are uneven at best," "not worth a second look," "saccharine," "predictable," "preachy didacticism."

Ouch.

Worst of all their reviews were posted on Amazon for everyone to see: THIS AUTHOR SUCKS!

They didn't say that, of course. They were much more eloquent in their denigration , choosing words that would sting and bite and crush. Words I would never forget. Saccharine. Why couldn't they see that my books were created with love?

But their reviews proved to be a good thing. They prompted one anonymous reader to write this:

"Who are the grumps at (The Mean Reviewer) who never like any of Iza Trapani's work??? How could you not like this incredibly imaginative story and the lovely illustrations that go with it??? My daughter and I adore the three Trapani books we have (this one, Itsy Bitsy Spider and I'm a Little Teapot) and I am online now to order everything I can find by this masterful storyteller and artist. Maybe if the people at (The Mean Reviewer) spent  a little more time reading Trapani books, they wouldn't be so grumpy!"

Wow, was I vindicated!

Now here's a sneak preview of my new book coming out on April 1, 2012 , and that's no April Fool's joke!

A short book trailer.


You might also enjoy this "banana peel" post about my terrifying first school visit and a sweet little boy who saved the day:  The Mayor

Thank you, Elizabeth, for featuring me on your wonderful site! It's such a great idea!

If anyone has a question or comment, I'd love to talk to you!
***********************************************************

Thank you so much Iza for contributing to the Banana Peel Thursday series.

You are so lovely and so are your books. I really would like to meet that nasty group of reviewers in a dark alley, or just watch them slip on a few banana peels! Hmph!

Best of luck to you with your April book release. Can't wait to read it!

38 comments:

  1. My family LOVES Iza Trapani's "I'm a Little Teapot" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"! My daughter made us read them over and over again. Now I have been reading them via Skype to my two year old niece who lives 3,000 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Annie! You just made my day!

      Delete
  2. Ira, we read so many of your books when my kids were young. We, too, have "I'm a Little Teapot" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", and my kids loved the illustrations. To heck with the bad reviews, I loved the rhyming! Thank you for all the years of pleasurable reading with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha! I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, love the happy reader's review and attack on the grumpy reviewers.

    I have been wondering if all authors read all reviews??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly do. And some of them are REALLY mean!

      Delete
  4. Iza is one of my favorite author/illustrators ever and a VERY nice person! I can't believe anyone ever wrote such mean things about her stories, rhymes, or art - all of which are sublime! Elizabeth, thanks for hosting Iza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susanna! Have I told you lately that I love you?

      Delete
    2. Susanna! Thanks for your support! I am so honored to have hosted both you and Iza. Thank you for putting the word out there!

      Delete
  5. Loved this interview! Iza is an author-celeb in our home.

    The librarian at my children's elementary school sends a note home each fall to parents, practically begging us to read nursery rhymes and nursery rhyme extensions to our children. Apparently many kids arrive in kindergarten with no idea about characters like Humpty Dumpty, Old Mother Goose, Little Jack Horner, etc. While it is never too late to read the classics, it is sad that they have not had the pleasure of these stories as toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! I am glad to be doing my part in keeping nursery rhymes alive. Folklore and traditions enrich our culture. It can't be just all about modern day zombies and vampires!

      Delete
  6. I always wonder about those reviewers who don't seem to like anything. Are they that grumpy about everything else in their lives? Thanks for sharing your stories, Iza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I wonder myself about those grumps!

      Delete
  7. I have read Iza Trapani's Twinkle Twinkle Little Star countless times to my children. The illustrations are fabulous!

    I personally have a really hard time with reviews (and rarely read them). I prefer to make up my own mind as a reader. It is certainly true that some books have wider appeal, but I believe that each published book is special. It is special because of the effort it took to bring an idea to life.

    My experience writing my blog has taught me always be positive about a book, and to show how it can become special for a family to read together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iza, those mean reviewers will get their comeuppance one of these days, you just wait and see! :) I have Twinkle Twinkle in my shopping cart for my next Amazon haul because I am so drawn to those delicious illustrations. (And I'm happy to report that ALL your books are available through Amazon Italia!)

    Thanks for the smiles, Iza. You're proof that we all need to keep a sense of humor about ourselves, even when it hurts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee! E viva Italia! Sono molto contenta!

      Delete
  9. Thanks! And good for you, Eric, for keeping your own counsel and for appreciating all books! You have a wonderful site!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," is positively lovely. I can't believe "mean reviewer" would ever give such wonderful books bad reviews. Thanks for providing encouragement to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirsten! I really appreciate that!

      Delete
  11. Bananabeth, (you know you will never be Elizabeth again :-), thank you for featuring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Iza! Thank YOU for agreeing to do this! What an HONOR! And I really do love my new name!

      You're great!
      Bananabeth

      Delete
  12. My family has loved your books for years! In fact. . . to this day, if anyone every says they are going to China we all respond in unison with "Grab your coat!" Than you for providing all my children years of smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that just warms my heart, Sandi. Thanks so much for sharing this!

      Delete
  13. I have used her "Itsy Bitsy" for years in my teaching and storytelling sessions. Life's too short to pay attention to mean reviewers. Poo on them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Poo on those mean reviewers! Thanks so much, Linda!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I am glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  15. Thanks, Iza, for sharing.
    Note to self: Reviewers can be real rascals :O

    Love the artwork for THE BEAR WENT OVER THE MOUNTAIN! Look forward to reading it :~])

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LJ! I, too, can't wait for its release. So happy you like the art work!

      Delete
  16. Wow - Iza Trapani!!! We are HUGE fans in my house. For a while my daughter couldn't go to bed without Froggy Went-Courtin'

    Fantastic Banana Peel post!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Julie! What serendipity!- Just minutes ago I left a comment on your blog post on captchas and then followed you on twitter. After which I decided to check on comments here and voila!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your banana peel moments! Your list of books is incredible. Library...here I come.
    I grew up in the Colorado mountains and we sang The Bear Went Over the Mountain repeatedly! So, can't wait to read your book. The illustrations are incredible in your trailer. Loved the one of him sleeping in his cave. He looked so huggable :•)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Penny! That's my favorite illustration too :-)
      I love Colorado and have spent much time there in the mountains too - skiing and climbing, though never came across a bear! So great to hear from you!

      Delete
  19. Just discovered this feature. LOVE it. And Iza I can tell you that years ago (I been around that long, lol) I remember using your ITSY BITSY SPIDER in school visits, programming and library tours...because I loved it, kids loved it, too. Loads of imagination and creativity packed between the covers. So _wonderful_ that as the years passed there were more and more! Thanks for sharing your B/P moments. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That means the world to me, Deb. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Iza, I love this. The ending made me choke up. Isn't it lovely when people you actually wrote the books for show them the love they deserve. Love that: if they spend more time reading Iza's books they might not be this grumpy... Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Stasha! That reader's comment is so special to me. It both cracked me up and choked me up :-)

    ReplyDelete