Monday, June 4, 2012

Books, Books, Books...Movies?

My little neighbor always talks about Skylanders. I have no idea what these Skylanders are, but apparently you can collect them. I am guessing the way he talks about them that they are toys that each have their own identities, powers, etc. Basically, our conversations revolve around them and sound something like this: "Hey, Elizabeth, I got four new Skylanders yesterday," or "Do you know how many Skylanders I have? I have like fifty-seven, well, fifty-eight, but I lost one under my bed."

A couple of days ago, my kids and I hopped next door to see if he and his little sister could play. Little sister said she was sick, so she couldn't. Her big brother, Skylander Kid, said, "I'm not sick, I just talk about Skylanders too much."

It cracked me up!

I am like Skylander Kid. In fact, I told him so. I said I love books like he loves Skylander. I told him that I love books so much, that if I wasn't already married to my husband, I would marry books. Being a five year old, he liked that.  I said, "Thankyouverymuch...I'll be here all afternoon." =)

So, when I am not writing manuscripts that I hope someday will be books, or when I am not reading books, or blogging about books, or reading blogs about books, I like to watch movies about creative people...who just so happen to sometimes write books. =)

This last week, we finally got around to watching, Being Elmo. Kevin Clash surely is an inspiration to all creative people. He was hooked on puppetry from a very young age. I was hooked on pretending I was a mermaid at a very young age, but nothing I did would come close to his obsession.(Although I am still living the dream vicariously through my daughter who also dreams of becoming a mermaid.) Needless to say, I am completely inspired by Kevin's perseverance and creativity. 

I am on an all things creative binge. Before I set out to read Jonah Lehrer's, Imagine in my annual, two-member summer book club (which consists of me and my hubby), I plan on making a list of all movies/documentaries devoted to creative people. I would love to keep an inspirational list here on the blog. Can you help me? What are your favorite movies about creative writers, film makers, musicians, artists, entrepreneurs, etc.? Enlighten me! =) Whatchya got?

Here are a few to start:

1.  Being Elmo
2.  A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts (about Philip Glass)
3. The Pixar Story
4. Midnight in Paris
5.

22 comments:

  1. Honestly, I love Ira Glass and "This American Life." I think it's storytelling at its best. Ira also has a lovely video about the craft of storytelling that I turn to when I feel ready to give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh....I LOVE "This American Life." I need to check out that video he has! Thanks for the input Kirsten! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kirsten. Just popped "The American Life" on my list.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of Kirsten's - I've read some awesome quotes by Ira Glass. Let's see. All I can think of right now is Funny Farm with Chevy Chase - not exactly inspirationally creative, but about 2 writers, one of them of children's books, and very funny! You could watch it and laugh yourself out of a funk :) I'll let you know if I think of something more serious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny Farm definitely has crossed my mind a few times this last year! Classic! Thanks Susanna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched Dead Poet's Society w/ the kids - definite winner on creativity at it's core!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one Julie! Definitely inspiring! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrible with remembering movies....but I loved August Rush! Thanks for this post Elizabeth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August Rush! I need to watch that movie. My son's name is August and we are always asked if we named him after the main character in the movie! Thanks so much Penny. I am putting it on my list! =)

      Delete
    2. Never heard of this - it sounds so lovely!!

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth, I just love your posts. I have some for you that I adore:

    --Impromptu - one of my fave movies of all time, a funny period piece about the messy love affairs of writer George Sand, playwright Alfred de Musset, and composers Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin. Such a fabulous cast: Judy Davis, Hugh Grant, Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Julian Sands, Emma Thompson

    --Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle: about my pal Dorothy Parker

    --Amadeus, of course!

    --Shine: true story of pianist David Helfgott (with Geoffrey Rush)

    --Walk the Line: Johnny Cash

    --The Hours: Virginia Woolf

    --The Player: about Hollywood bigwigs

    --Prick Up Your Ears: about British playwright Joe Orton

    --Deconstructing Harry: Woody Allen as a writer

    --Ray: Ray Charles

    --Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve: acting/screenwriting

    And look what I found: a link to 236 movies about writing and the writing process:
    http://christinakatz.com/free/236-movies-about-writers/

    SMOOCHES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! I left a comment for you below! :) I was just too excited about your post I forgot to hit reply! :)

      Delete
    2. Whoa! Thanks for the movie link up, Julie!!

      Delete
  8. In my most poetic voice, I would like to tell you: You da bomb, Renee. Awesome list! I LOVE Amadeus! And The Hours! Ohhhhh.....And I need to check out that website! Grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Renee, just put a couple of those on hold!
    Another good one: Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy (Docurama)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh...thanks Julie! Puttin' it on the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth,

    Great photo of gal embrassing her true love, Text! Okay, now all kinds of titles for it are running through my mind :O
    *In Love with the Written Word!
    *Text Style Love {little play on words :]}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth, I just saw Being Elmo on Netflix the other day. I wondered what it was about. I am going to have to watch it now!

    The first movie that came to my mind was Mr. Holland's Opus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One word of advice Eric....make sure your kids are completely asleep before you watch it! It was a little torturous for ours to hear Elmo's giggle in the other room!

      Mr. Holland's Opus is great! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  13. Finding Neverland and Fahrenheit 451 (even though that's an old one!)

    ReplyDelete