Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Move Over Martha!

Well. It's Tuesday and I've got nothin'. No thoughts on writing. All I want to do is shut down this laptop and go read!

 I just finished Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine about how a young girl with Asperger's deals with the aftermath of the her brother's death. (Highly recommend it, although I am quite possibly the last person in the universe to have read it.)And now I am hooked on Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Santos. Next up, The Year the Swallows Came Early, by Kathryn Fitzmaurice. I am on a middle grade binge, gearing up for March Madness,  also known as Rebecca Fyfe's, Chapter Book Challenge. 

Can I finish writing a whole MG chapter book by the end of March? Ha! Can I eat a whole pint of Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream in one sitting? Hey, it might be challenging, it might make me nauseous, but I think I can manage to get through it. I've done it before and I can certainly do it again! Oh wait. I think I got sidetracked. I've never written a middle grade chapter book, but I do look forward to the experience.

In fact, I've become all organized-ish for the occasion. Move over Martha! (Stewart, not Washington!)


Ooga-booga.

Eh hem...Blogosphere and Kitchen Table, make way for the new...Writers' Station! (Previously, Cluttered, So You Think You Wanna Sew, Station.)


How will my life be different with Writers' Station all set up and ready to go? Well, I will have you know, I now have all the bells and whistles, including, but not limited to:

A desk calendar (for all my "important" deadlines)

A couple of incredibly imperfect, impossible picture book manuscripts, held in place by the world's most versatile paper weight.


A stack of books, or what I like to call a pile of middle grade goodness (for inspiration).


A rustic, old laptop (missing the E key, which is a constant reminder of how I need to make money somehow, someway, someday).

A trusty journal. Actually, journals: one, two, and two and a half (two and a half is falling apart and might not make it much longer).

A collage (mixture of all things inspirational, grounding, etc.), including one of my favorite, most beautiful,  Trader Joe's $0.99, impulse buys...




So now you know. Each time you see I've written some more absolute nonsense, this is where I will most likely have been seated while writing it and will be seated, for that matter, for as long as my little buns will allow...unless I feel the need to hide from writing insecurities, depressing world news, moldy shower curtains, the fact that our fridge sounds like a machine gun and will soon need to be replaced, etc..

In these particular cases, I will more than likely be able to be found right about here...


...hiding.

18 comments:

  1. "Can I eat a whole pint of Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream in one sitting?" YUM!!!!
    I know about the whole sidetracked thing!!!! I am supposed to be revising a manuscript right now...but thought I would check my email one last time. I saw your name and couldn't resist. I'm glad I stopped by. Now to the task at hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Penny! Thanks for using your sidetracked time to read my post! You are GREAT! =) See you Thursday? =)

      Delete
  2. I love your little writing nook! It has wonderful light. I have a room for a studio in our new home, but it's still a disaster and I work at a big old desk in the living room. The boys like it when I work downstairs, so I think that's where I'll stay. Now I need to go call my hubby and ask him to bring home some ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I love natural light. That is why my nook is not in my bedroom, which is dark like a dungeon. =( Our kitchen is where everything happens, probably like your living room, so it is the perfect place to be...Grand Central Station sometimes, but otherwise perfect! =) I hope you got some ice cream!

      Delete
  3. The thing I like about having to write an entire novel in one month is that it forces you just to write and not think about it. I'm going to be writing a chapter book during Rebecca's challenge. I've never written a chapter book before so it should be interesting. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Rena! I am glad we will be doing the challenge together, especially since this will be both of our first times writing a chapter book! Thanks for tuning in! =)

      Delete
  4. I love your writer's station, and your quote poster, and your paperweights, and your hiding place :) You're all set. We're ready to hear great things from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) Thanks Susanna!I feel all set, espcially with my paper weight nearby and my hiding place mapped out. You're the best!

      Delete
  5. Thank you ever so much for sharing a personal piece of your life---your writing space. I think we all could relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read Mockingbird, so thanks for the reminder! Good luck on the chapter book, I am still dithering about that because of signing up for the @##@% poetry challenge :-)

    I have avoided working on my manuscript this evening by writing two blog posts!

    Thanks for sharing all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Joanna! I loved your interview with Beth! Good luck with the poetry challenge and I hope you decide to join us for the Chapter Book Challenge too!

      Delete
  7. Love your writing space! And laughed when I read about your missing e key and the way it reminds you that you need to make money. I have reminders liek that too! :)

    Thanks for linking the Chapter Book Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait for the challenge to begin! Thanks for doing this!

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    Love your blog. I gave you a Liebster. You can read about it on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! THANK YOU! What a compliment. =) So wonderful! Can't wait to share the love! Thanks Dana!

      Delete
  9. Elizabeth -- You're posts are always engaging. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Thank YOU Eric for reading! I hope you enjoy tomorrow's BPT post!

      Delete