Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lessons for Next Time and... the Official Banana Peel Thursday Badge!

I left the house Saturday morning sportin' my lucky Frida Kahlo socks and my mom's old cowboy boots feeling pretty good about myself, ready for my two hour, caffeine-pumped, drive.  I was on my way to my first writing conference, a fancy nonfiction intensive. Out of all my manuscripts, only one is nonfictiony

As with most firsts, there is a learning curve to consider. Therefore, I have a few things I'm gonna keep in mind for next time I attend a conference, now that I know. In fact, I made a list for myself, to be printed out and pocketed for quick referencing convenience.

SELF, NEXT TIME...

-DO try to act normal when you see someone you have connected with socially online, even though you feel you are on a first date arranged by an Internet match-making service where you know practically everything about them including their dog's name, how old their kids are, and whether or not they like the Rolling Stones, despite the fact you have never before heard their voice.

-DON'T be the first person to jump out of your seat and go talk to each speaker who just finishes and literally hasn't disconnected their laptop or literally hasn't had a chance to sit down...Yes. I was that person. Cringing with regret ever since.

-DO count to forty as soon as the speaker finishes, then get out of seat.

-DO slowly WALK to speaker's table, wait patiently in line, etc.

-DON'T approach an editor with, "I have a book for you! I'm not afraid!" It appears that they may avoid you at all costs after that. I wonder why?

-DO rehearse question(s) for agents to avoid awkward moments like: "Uh, I have looked on the Red Fox, uh,  uh, website...." Completely star-struck.  =)

-DON'T sit next to the cookie table.


It was an AMAZING event.  Excitingly enough, I discovered that I am a nonfictiony kind of gal!  What the heck have I been doing all this time?  Oh, yeah! Blogging! =)

Which leads me to my next topic:

Blogging.

I have been so, so lucky to receive the help of Heather Newman with the design of this year's Banana Peel Thursdays badge! Please check out her illustrations at http://www.heathernewman.net/.

 So, without further ado...



She writes, she's classy, she's sassy, and she has a mess of banana peel stories to tell! I love her.

Should we name her?

Please feel free to copy the Banana Peel Thursday (BPT) badge with pride to your site if you are either:

1. my mom
2. a BPT contributing author
2. a BPT contributing commenter
3. Heather's mom
4. if you appreciate the idea of BPT and vow to return to read another post within this next year=)

If you do decide to display the badge, please remember to link it to the site's URL (http://bananapeelin.blogspot.com/ )so that any curious blog wanderers may check it out. =)

Thank you so much Heather Newman for your help! You are wonderful!

Make sure to check back this Banana Peel Thursday for our next amazing author's accounts of her own battles against banana peels.  HINT: You already love her. =)

Thanks so much!

22 comments:

  1. I think so many of us could have just inserted our name in that story! Great post! And I love the new badge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie!
      I now do not feel so ahsamed. =)
      Heather did a great job on the badge!

      Delete
  2. Why she looks just like Lana Pinebane (which uses the letters of Banana Peelin)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE THIS idea! Lana Pinebane it is! =)

      Delete
    2. YAY! Glad I could be of service! And Lana is such a glamorous name, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Great post! I've been to a couple of small conferences and I totally understand what you're talking about! When I head out to the NESCBWI spring conference, I'll keep this post in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather...Let me know how yours goes! =) I have another one in April...I might consider some kind of sedative beforehand. Just kidding. =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I am so grateful to Heather! And to Renee for her new name! =)

      Delete
  5. LOL! I am going to my first conference this weekend and will be sure to follow your advice. :) And wonderful work on the badge! So official! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful time at the conference! I wish I could go! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Fun and charming story. Don't be too hard on yourself - enthusiasm and willingness to learn and a great attitude are key, and it sounds like you've got those ingredients! Thanks for sharing, and thanks as well for participating in the 2012 Comment Challenge!
    Namaste,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so honored to have received a comment from you! I love your site sooo much. Thanks for visiting! If you have time, check back in on Thursdays to hear some great tales from authors about their own humbling experiences along the way to publication.

      Delete
  7. That is an amazing cookie table. Great tips for these conferences. Glad to hear you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookie table is beautiful and while the array of cookies was impressive at the conference, it was not the one pictured here....I was much to preoccupied with the contents of the table to take a picture. =)

      Delete
  8. SO GLAD you wrote that list (since, CLEARLY you wrote it with me in mind)! I am totally jealous of and amazed at the badge! It's going up on my blog now!
    You've inspired me, by the way. I am now off to think about my "thing" that people will come from all walks of life to visit my blog for. Maybe I'll just be BPT's #1 advertiser??
    Can't wait to meet you in April. I vote for holding hands, jumping up and down, and screaming like banshees, when we see one another. Think we'll get noticed much? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cookie table is going to haunt me now. Glad to have found you through the comment challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know how you feel. Your list gave me a chuckle and is, indeed, a great reminder. Good good luck with your nonfiction work. May I please have a cookie? a.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got here from Heather's blog. Love this idea.

    I know what you mean about connecting with someone in person that you know from the internet. That happened to me at last year's NESCBWI conference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete